Sunday, June 3, 2012

Boys Like Dirt

     We planted a garden about a month ago.  The plants are pretty big, but our produce isn't.  So i don't know if we just got the pygmy version of zucchini, yellow squash and roma tomatoes, but I expected them to get bigger than they have been getting.  The only thing that seems the right size are our cherry tomatoes, but none of them are ripe yet.  And our yellow squash has this brown stuff on the ends, like it's dying and withering up there.  But they are only about 3-4 inches long and 1 inch in diameter so I don't know if they are ripe or not.  The ones that we had growing up always seemed bigger.  Anyway, we have some corn in the works and some watermelon but those haven't produced anything yet.
     When Brent was getting the soil ready, Adam wanted to help but Brent was working in manure and I didn't want Adam playing in it too, so I made him play in a different pile of dirt.  He seemed to be ok with it. 



Brent seemed to enjoy the dirt as much as Adam.


So far we have harvested two roma tomatoes about the size of golf balls.  Maybe we planted them too close to the cherry tomatoes and they got confused.  I hope we at least get something good.  It is quite expensive to water every day so we need some good produce to make it worth it.

3 comments:

  1. Gardening in Tucson is like pulling teeth. It is awful. If your squash are yellow, then you can eat them. I planted some squash and kept waiting for them to get bigger but then they would wither and die, so I ate them when they were smaller. Still good so I say try it out and see. My real squash production didn't get going until about September when it got cooler. By then the plant looked really gross but the squash were growing. In the end I decided it wasn't worth it and didn't plant another garden. Hope it goes okay. Other people have great success, just not me :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good. Glad to know I'm not the only one. I couldn't even keep my mother's day plan t alive, so I guess this is progress!

      Delete
  2. We live in a very fertile and rainy place where crops grow wonderfully, but even our home garden doesn't produce as much as we would hope. Hopefully you will at least get some delicious produce out of your efforts. Love the pictures! Adam is such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete