Monday, September 10, 2012

Baby Emma

I need to do some catching up.  Here's what I'll do: I'll tell the short story, and then insert the longer parts later as I have time to do so.

So the last half of my pregnancy was just as rough (ok, maybe slightly less as bad) as the first half but for different reasons.  I found out that I had an iron deficiency which required taking an iron supplement but it took a really long time to feel "normal" again.  I actually never really felt "normal."  I was always just so exhausted all the time, like all the energy I had was being sucked out of me.  I felt like the baby was taking all my nutrients.
...Fast forward to last Sunday...

I was scheduled to be induced Sunday morning.  I had mixed feelings about it, mostly because it was unknown to me and I was just nervous.  Been reading too many horror stories I guess.  Plus, I wanted to go all natural.  I guess that's just the independent person in me.  I wanted to do it all by myself.  However, I also didn't want to be pregnant any longer than I had do be and I was worried that the baby was getting bigger and bigger and I didn't want to have a 9 lb baby.  I had a feeling she might be bigger than Adam because my pregnancy weight gain had been pretty much the same for both pregnancies but this time, I think I was a pound heavier at my last appointment than I had been the same time with Adam.  So I figured I either gained a pound (probably from the box of doughnuts Brent bought) or she did, or maybe we shared the extra poundage.  Anyway, I didn't want a big baby and I also had a pinched nerve that was bothering me really bad, plus all the other uncomfortable perks of being pregnant, so I figured it wouldn't hurt too much to be induced.  At my last appointment, I discussed the options with my doctor and she told me it would probably be pretty easy since I was already so far along (2cm, 80% effaced) which made me feel a little better.  I had been having contractions for a few days prior to Sunday but they were irregular and not very strong.  I was hoping the baby would come before the induction date but that didn't happen, no matter how much I did or walked around. (Insert story about trip to hospital on Friday)

So in we went Sunday morning and they got me all hooked up to the IV and 3 1/2 hours later she was born. (fill in details later)  Check out her little triangle nose!  That was the first thing I noticed about her.  It kind of bothered me, but now I love it!  It's what makes her special and unique.
Emma Jean
Born 9/2/2012 at 11:52 am
8lbs 6.3oz, 18.5 in long*
* We think the length isn't quite accurate because when I took her to her appointment a few days later they measured her at 20.5 in.  They double checked it too.

(Add some post delivery details here.)  Shortly after she was born, my mom was able to come and bring Adam so he could see his new baby sister before they went to church.
I think he likes her!  He learned her name very quickly.  When he hears her crying, he says, "Emma!  Emma!" and runs to see if she's ok.  He likes to sit next to her when she's laying on the couch and he likes to point out all her features, such as her nose, eyes, head and chin.  She's been poked in the eye a few times but I'm sure there's more to come so I guess she should get used to it.

We are so happy to have her finally here.  She is such a precious little baby.

5 comments:

  1. Awe! Tears in my eyes! I am so glad you had your little one. She is so precious! And I am glad that Adam likes her. I was wondering. Hope that things are settling down for you and that you are getting some much needed rest! I can't wait to meet her! Hugs and lots and lots of love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! I love the picture of the three of you! I'm so glad Emma is here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderful, congratulations! Thank you for sharing. It's good to hear that everything went smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot wait to hear the rest of the stories, I LOVE hearing birth stories, I don't know why but i do :)

    ReplyDelete