Saturday, February 18, 2012

Adam's Words

I'm still pretty sick, however I think the worst of it is over (I hope).  But I just wanted to share some highlights from this week that cheered me up a little.  Most of my time is passed laying on the couch watching Adam play and use his imagination.  He has quite an imagination.  He loves to talk on the phone (or more accurately, he loves to push the buttons).  But he pretends to talk on the phone.  He says, "hi" and "hello" or at least I think that's what he's saying.  But when he doesn't have a phone to play with, he is pretty inventive.  He's used several things in place of a phone, such as: a hot wheels car, a phone charger, a mega block, a block of wood, a puzzle piece and basically anything that fits in his hand and is rectangle-ish in shape.
He has some other words that he says, though most of the time he says them when he wants to, which is not very often.  But the other day, he actually used his words to communicate.  One of his words is "bissy" (fishy).  We were eating lunch and he pointed to the goldfish crackers and said "bissy!"  I thought it was a one time thing, but he did it again!  And again!  I was so proud of him.  He ate lots of goldfish that day.
Another word he says is "buh" (bird).  Today he spent a good 10 or 15 minutes looking out the window at the birds and saying. "Buh!  Buh!"  It was cute.  He can also say "bear" and "ball" but they sound so close to "bird" that I have to pay attention to what he's doing in order to know which one he is saying.  The other word he is really good at saying is "uh oh."  Though he says it more like, "ee ooh." He recognizes many other words and sentences but just hasn't figured out how to say them yet.  He finds other ways to communicate though.  It just makes me so happy to watch him learn and figure things out.  He's a little smarty pants.  He's learning how to color too.  Unfortunately we only have pens and markers so we don't color as often as I would like, but when I get feeling better, I want to get him a pack of jumbo crayons, a coloring book and some play-doh.  I'm sure he'll try to eat them but who hasn't eaten play-doh before?  I think it's required to be a kid.  That and glue, which I'm sure he will also try eventually.  He's quite the explorer.  But until then, I guess blocks, cars and books will have to do, which he loves anyway.  He doesn't know what he's missing but he's such a good little boy.  I just love him to pieces.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet little boy. I love to see him. I can't wait to hear him talking.

    ReplyDelete